This is a must-listen lecture from famous pastor Wayne Grudem.
Note: public schools = government-run schools.
- Does God care whether we people marry and have children?
- Does God care whether Christian parents raise their children to know him?
- Should government promote bearing children?
- What are some effects of declining birth rates in other countries?
- What are the economic effects of declining birth rates?
- Who has the right to decide how children are trained: government or parents?
- What does the Bible say about parents having to raise children to know him?
- Does the government have the responsibility for training children?
- What do educational bureaucrats think of parents training children?
- What do school boards think of parents training children?
- Should school boards be elected by local, state or federal government?
- Should Christians be opposed to government-run education? (public schools)
- How should schools be viewed by parents? As a replacement or as a helper?
- How are schools viewed by those on the left and in communist countries?
- How can you measure how supporting a government is of parental rights?
- How is parental authority viewed in left-wing EU countries like Germany?
- How is parental authority respected in the United States?
- Should parents have a choice of where their children go to school?
- What is a voucher program? How is it related to parental autonomy?
- How does competition (school choice) in education serve parental needs?
- Why do public school teachers, unions and educrats oppose competitition?
- How well do public schools do in educating children to achieve?
- Does the government-run monopoly of public schools produce results?
- Does paying more and more money to public schools make them perform?
- How do teacher unions feel about having to compete in a voucher system?
- Does the public school monopoly penalize the poorest students?
- Does the public school monopoly penalize children of certain races?
- Does the public school monopoly cause racial prejudice?
- What else should parents demand on education policy?
- Is it good for parents when schools refuse to fire underperforming teachers?
This podcast is just amazing! This is what we need to be teaching in church. Church should be the place where you go to learn and reflect about how to tailor your life plan based on what the Bible says. And I think that this whole notion of free market – of choice and competition benefiting the consumer (parents) – applies to everything that government does, especially education and health care. The genius of America is that our Founding Fathers engineered a system that reflected all of this knowledge of economics, which then made it much easier for individuals and families to enjoy liberty and a higher quality of life. If we want to keep the benefits, we have to remember why these decisions were made at the founding of our nation.