From the Wall Street Journal, a column by Rick Santorum.
[I]n my first 100 days as president, I’ll submit to Congress and work to pass a comprehensive pro-growth and pro-family Economic Freedom Agenda. Here are 10 of its main initiatives:
- Unleash America’s energy. I’ll approve the Keystone Pipeline for jobs and energy security, and sign an order on day one unleashing America’s domestic energy production, allowing states to choose where they want to explore for oil and natural gas and to set their own regulations for hydrofracking.
- Stop job-killing regulation. All Obama administration regulations that have an economic burden over $100 million will be repealed, including the Environmental Protection Agency rule on CO2 emissions that’s already shut down six power plants. I’ll review all regulations, making sure they use sound science and cost benefit analysis.
- A pro-growth, pro-family tax policy. I’ll submit to Congress comprehensive tax policies to strengthen opportunity in our country, with only two income tax rates of 10% and 28%. To help families, I’ll triple the personal deduction for children and eliminate the marriage tax penalty.
- Restore America’s competitiveness. The corporate tax rate should be halved, to a flat rate of 17.5%. Corporations should be allowed to expense all business equipment and investment. Taxes on corporate earnings repatriated from overseas should be eliminated to bring home manufacturing. I’ll take the lead on tort reform to lower costs to consumers.
- Rein in spending. I’ll propose spending cuts of $5 trillion over five years, including cuts for the remainder of fiscal year 2013. I’ll propose budgets that spend less money each year than prior years, and I’ll reduce the nondefense-related federal work force by at least 10%, without replacing them with private contractors.
- Repeal and replace ObamaCare. I’ll submit legislation to repeal ObamaCare, and on day one issue an executive order ending related regulatory obligations on the states. I’ll work with Congress to replace ObamaCare with competitive insurance choices to improve quality and limit the costs of health care, while protecting those with uninsurable health conditions. In contrast, Gov. Romney signed into law RomneyCare, which provided the model for ObamaCare. Its best-known feature is its overreaching individual health-care mandate. But it shares over a dozen other similarities with ObamaCare and has given Massachusetts the highest health-care premiums in the nation, and longer waits for health care.
- Balance the budget. I’ll submit to Congress a budget that will balance within four years and call on Congress to pass a balanced-budget amendment to the Constitution which limits federal spending to 18% of GDP.
- Negotiate and submit free trade agreements. Because many Americans work for companies which export, I’ll initiate negotiations in the first 100 days and submit to Congress five free trade agreements during my first year in office to increase exports.
- Reform entitlements. I’ll cut means-tested entitlement programs by 10% across the board, freeze them for four years, and block grant them to states—as I did as the author of welfare reform in 1996. I’ll reform Medicare and Social Security so they are fiscally sustainable for seniors and young people.
- Revive housing. I’ll submit plans to Congress to phase out within several years Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac’s federal housing role, reform and make transparent the Federal Reserve, and allow families whose mortgages are “underwater” to deduct losses from the sale of their home in order to get a fresh start in difficult economic times.
According to the Wall Street Journal, Santorum’s a “supply-sider for the working man“.
- Fact check: Mitt Romney’s claim that Rick Santorum was a big spender
- Rick Santorum and Barbara Boxer debate partial birth abortion in 1999
- Rick Santorum: Catholic bishops should not have supported Obamacare
- Rick Santorum gets endorsements from James Dobson and John Stemberger
- Wall Street Journal: Rick Santorum is a supply-sider for the working man
- Rick Santorum would not stand idle while Iran develops nuclear weapons
- 150 evangelical leaders agree to endorse Rick Santorum after two-day conference
- Why Christians and social conservatives should vote for Rick Santorum
- Rick Santorum’s pro-family economic plan TRIPLES the child tax deduction
- Is Rick Santorum conservative or liberal? What are Rick Santorum’s political views?
- Rick Santorum helps liberal college students to understand the logic of marriage
- George Will: Rick Santorum connects with the working class
- Video and transcript of Rick Santorum’s inspiring Iowa victory speech
- Rick Santorum for President of the United States
- Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum: who has the pro-life record on abortion?
- Rick Santorum wins Fox News Republican primary debate (with video)
- Rick Santorum explains why socialism is hostile to the family