Remember why Obama passed the stimulus bill? To create jobs!
The Heritage Foundation explains how Obama is 9 million jobs away from his promised target.
When Obama made his 3.5 million jobs promise, employment stood at about 135.1 million according to the Department of Labor’s most commonly used measure. This establishes the Obama jobs target for December 2010 at 138.6 million. It also establishes a basic trajectory for employment the economy would need to approximate to hit that target.
According to the latest jobs report, total U.S. employment fell to 129.5 million in January, which means the cumulative Obama jobs deficit–the difference between the end target and the current employment level–stands at 9 million.
[…]The theory underlying Obama’s stimulus was that the economy was weak because total demand was too low. The suggested solution is then to increase demand by increasing the budget deficit. This theory of demand manipulation through deficit spending ignores the simplest of realities: Government spending must be financed. So to finance deficit spending, the government must borrow from private markets, thereby reducing private demand by the same amount as deficit spending increases public demand.
Government spending takes money out of the productive private sector, either by taxes or inflation. But it is the private sector, especially small businesses, that creates the most new jobs. The stimulus plan was doomed to failure.
- How Democrat policies cause unemployment to increase
- Unemployment rate among men aged 25-54 is 19.4%
- Unemployment for young Americans surges to record high of 52 percent
- Business leaders blame Obama for high unemployment rate
- Ten ways that Obama stimulated the economy with government spending
- Feds give $888,000 to Chicago public schools to teach Arabic language
- Why Obama’s government spending failed to keep unemployment below 8%
- Harvard economists explain how Obama’s spending created 10.2% unemployment
- Why is Obama spending trillions when government spending failed in Japan?
- What lowers unemployment? Bush’s tax cuts or Obama’s spending?
- Why Democrat policies don’t create jobs