From the UK Telegraph, a story about government-run health care in the UK.
Forty-three hospital patients starved to death last year and 111 died of thirst while being treated on wards, new figures disclose today.
The death toll was disclosed by the Government amid mounting concern over the dignity of patients on NHS wards.
They will also fuel concerns about care homes, as it was disclosed that eight people starved to death and 21 people died of thirst while in care.
Last night there were warnings that they must prompt action by the NHS and care home regulators to prevent further deaths among patients.
The Office for National Statistics figures also showed that:
- as well as 43 people who starved to death, 287 people were recorded by doctors as being malnourished when they died in hospitals;
- there were 558 cases where doctors recorded that a patient had died in a state of severe dehydration in hospitals;
- 78 hospital and 39 care home patients were killed by bedsores, while a further 650 people who died had their presence noted on their death certificates;
- 21,696 were recorded as suffering from septicemia when they died, a condition which experts say is most often associated with infected wounds.
The records, from the Office for National Statistics, follow a series of scandals of care of the elderly, with doctors forced to prescribe patients with drinking water or put them on drips to make sure they do not become severely dehydrated .
This is the problem with socialized medicine. You pay your money up front and then later on the government decides how much treatment you get. They have no reason to be nice to you – you already paid them. They don’t get paid more or less based on the quality of care they give you. You can’t get a refund on taxes paid. And where else can you go? It’s a single payer system.
- UK socialism in action: patients waiting on trolleys for over 50 hours
- NHS makes patients wait unnecessarily in order to avoid “raising expectations”
- NHS refuses to treat woman who is starving to death
- Former NHS hospital director dies on surgery waiting list
- Women gives birth after NHS nurses send her home from hospital
- UK patients denied treatment as “public option” system makes cutbacks
- How do governments control costs in a single-payer health care systems?
- NHS patients giving birth in waiting rooms
- What does universal health care really mean?
- How well is government-run health care working out in the UK?
- British national health care system prepares to cut 20 billion dollars
- NHS kills a man’s wife by delaying cancer treatment for 7 months
- How is socialized medicine working out in the UK and Canada?
- Police probe death of NHS hospital patient who begged for water
- How government-run health care leads to euthanasia
- NHS employees leapfrog their own waiting lists to access private health care
- NHS delays treatment for broken arm for four months and counting
- One in six patients misdiagnosed by NHS
- The deadly consequences of rationing health care
- Health care in Britain: question a doctor and lose your children
- How death panels work in the British health care system
- One million NHS patients receive brutally inadequate health care
- 4000 NHS patients denied hospital beds to give birth to children
- Woman gives birth on pavement after NHS refuses to send an ambulance
- NHS hospitals infested with a dozen varieties of vermin
- 39-year old woman is prescribed painkillers and dies after 11-minute NHS exam
- NHS refuses to pay for lower-back painkillers