A North Portland bar owner is facing a $400,000 fine for discriminating against a transgender woman’s group.
The Bureau of Labor and Industries handed down the fine yesterday to Chris Penner, the owner of the bar formerly known as the “P Club.”
Last summer, one woman said they received a voicemail from Penner, who said they were not allowed to return because he didn’t want people to think he ran a “tranny bar.” In the voicemail, Penner claimed the group was hurting business.
“People think that A.) we’re a tranny bar, or B.) that we’re a gay bar. We are neither. People are not coming in because they just don’t want to be here on a Friday night now,” he said.
Under Oregon law, Oregonians may not be denied full and equal service based on sexual orientation. The law provides an exemption for religious organizations and schools, but does not allow private business owners to discriminate based on sexual orientation, just as they cannot legally deny service based on race, sex, age, disability or religion.
The fine is the first imposed under the 2007 Oregon Equality Act.
Since 2007, Oregonians have filed 11 complaints of unlawful discrimination in public places.
In addition to the massive fine, Penner also has to pay a $5,000 civil penalty.
The argument by radical gay activists is that free speech is less important their feelings of being offended. They don’t want to be offended by your disagreement/disapproval. And if they are offended then they have to threaten you and attack you and hurt you and hurt your business and hurt your career until you stop offending them. And everyone on the left thinks that this is fine.
I would expect moderate gays to be speaking out to defend the right of individuals to disagree and disapprove of behaviors that they don’t agree with, but I’m not seeing a lot of that.
- Gay activists pressure D.C. mayor to remove ex-gay singer from MLK memorial concert
- Two Christian preachers brutally beaten at Seattle Gay Pride Festival
- Gay activist who vandalized Chick-Fil-A restaurant will not be charged
- Man who attempted mass shooting at Family Research Council pleads guilty
- Gunman says he was acting on anti-white views that he learned in college
- Floyd Lee Corkins II is a left-winger, admired atheist philosopher Nietzche
- Even after Family Research Council shooting, leftists continue “hate” rhetoric
- The mainstream media’s biased coverage of the Family Research Council shooting
- Southern Poverty Law Center called the Family Research Council “hate group”
- Human Rights Campaign calls the Family Research Council “hate group”
- Family Research Council shooting suspect volunteered at gay community center
- White House and left-wing media take hours to comment on FRC shooting
- Shooting at Family Research Council being investigated as domestic terrorism
- Gay activist Dan Savage bullies Christian teens and bashes Christianity
- Hate crime: gay activists vandalize Mark Driscoll’s Mars Hill Church
- Human Rights Campaign leaks list of pro-marriage donors and their addresses
- Pro-abortion vandals: destroying pro-life display was “free speech”
- Gay rights activists vandalize church for posting pro-marriage sign
- Gay manager at Cisco Systems gets Dr. Frank Turek fired