An interview with Dr. Meg Meeker! (H/T Andrew)
Questions answered in the interview:
- Q: Why are fathers so important?
- Q: What are fathers doing wrong?
- Q: What are fathers doing right?
- Q: Can an absent or irresponsible father make up for lost time?
- Q: What is the most important thing a father should know?
- Q: Any tips for being the kind of father a daughter really needs?
Fathers carry an authority in children’s eyes that is different from their mother’s. Fathers are also pivotal in the development of a healthy sexuality in a daughter’s life. Girls who have a good relationship with their dads are shown to: have a higher self-esteem, be less likely to become sexually active at an early age, less likely to experience depression, less likely to develop an eating disorder and typically have a higher GPA in high school. Also, the most effective way to bolster a girl’s self esteem is through getting physical affection from her father.
There is a lot of useful information summarized in this short little interview.