A new study on marijuana was reported in the UK Daily Mail.
A definitive 20-year study into the effects of long-term cannabis use has demolished the argument that the drug is safe.
Cannabis is highly addictive, causes mental health problems and opens the door to hard drugs, the study found.
The paper by Professor Wayne Hall, a drugs advisor to the World Health Organisation, builds a compelling case against those who deny the devastation cannabis wreaks on the brain.
Professor Hall found:
- One in six teenagers who regularly smoke the drug become dependent on it
- Cannabis doubles the risk of developing psychotic disorders, including schizophrenia
- Cannabis users do worse at school. Heavy use in adolescence appears to impair intellectual development
- One in ten adults who regularly smoke the drug become dependent on it and those who use it are more likely to go on to use harder drugs
- Driving after smoking cannabis doubles the risk of a car crash, a risk which increases substantially if the driver has also had a drink
- Smoking it while pregnant reduces the baby’s birth weight
Last night Professor Hall, a professor of addiction policy at King’s College London, dismissed the views of those who say that cannabis is harmless.
‘If cannabis is not addictive then neither is heroin or alcohol,’ he said.
‘It is often harder to get people who are dependent on cannabis through withdrawal than for heroin – we just don’t know how to do it.’
Those who try to stop taking cannabis often suffer anxiety, insomnia, appetite disturbance and depression, he found. Even after treatment, less than half can stay off the drug for six months.
I’m seeing a lot of “Christian libertarians” being supportive of initiatives to legalize drugs, but there is a reason why drugs are illegal. They hurt people. They hurt families. Why would we want to celebrate and normalize something that is known to cause harm?
Please see below for more recent studies on the effects of marijuana.
- Report: Negative impacts from the legalization of marijuana in Colorado
- Welfare cash used to purchase marijuana in Colorado
- New study: even casual use of marijuana / cannabis alters brain
- New study: teen pot use could hurt brain and memory
- New study finds connection between early use of marijuana and mental illness
- New study: marijuana use by teens is linked to permanent brain abnormalities
- New study: smoking marijuana raises risk of having a stroke
- New study: smoking marijuana/cannabis permanently lowers IQ
- Should we legalize drugs and prostitution like Ron Paul wants?