Note: Don’t forget about the debate tonight at 9 Eastern/6 Pacific. Watch out for CNN moderator bias and planted questions though!
From the Wall Street Journal.
Mitt Romney just got more fodder to attack Barack Obama’s green energy programs ahead of Tuesday night’s presidential debate.
A123 Systems Inc., which was awarded a federal grant of $249 million funded by the 2009 economic-stimulus law, filed for bankruptcy protection Tuesday morning.
The company, a maker of electric vehicle batteries, received accolades from the president in September 2010. “This is important not just because of what you guys are doing at your plant, but all across America,” Mr. Obama said in a phone call timed to the opening of a battery manufacturing facility. “Because this is about the birth of an entire new industry in America — an industry that’s going to be central to the next generation of cars.”
Energy Secretary Steven Chu in 2009 said the company was “one of the success stories of a high-technology company that was funded with government funds” and “the model of what we want to happen in the future on a bigger scale.”
The Romney campaign has attacked Mr. Obama for what it says is ill-advised government spending on risky clean-energy start-ups. In last week’s vice presidential debate, Paul Ryan called the stimulus program “green pork.”
Newsbusters adds this update:
From Bloomberg’s report today:
President Barack Obama called A123 Chief Executive Officer David Vieau and then-Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm during a September 2010 event celebrating the opening of the plant in Livonia, Michigan, that the company received the U.S. grant to help build.
“This is about the birth of an entire new industry in America — an industry that’s going to be central to the next generation of cars,” Obama said in the phone call, according to a transcript provided by the White House. “When folks lift up their hoods on the cars of the future, I want them to see engines and batteries that are stamped: Made in America.”
I’m hoping that in tonight’s debate Romney reasserts that line about the $90 billion wasted on green projects and a lot of it linked to Obama campaign fundraisers.
- New study: there has been no global warming since 1997
- Who really gets rich from gasoline? Big oil companies or big government?
- Gas prices hit all-time high – again – in Obama-supporting California
- GAO study: EPA regulations will kill coal plant jobs and raise energy prices
- New CBO study: lifting drilling restrictions would increase U.S. energy reserves by 30%
- EPA study finds that water in Dimock, PA is safe to drink despite fracking
- Green firm that got $1.46 billion in bailouts announces 2000 layoffs
- The ten worst energy policies of the Obama administration
- Did Obama cause gas prices to go up?
- Higher gas prices were caused by Obama’s green energy policies
- A third Obama-subsidized green energy firm is bankrupt after $118.5 million loan
- How Barack Obama used taxpayer dollars to outsource green energy jobs
- Did Obama really create jobs with his green energy and stimulus programs?
- In Canada, a revolt against global warming socialism creates an economic boom
- E-mails reveal that Obama fundraiser discussed Solyndra loan with White House
- Another green energy firm goes bankrupt after getting $43 million loan from taxpayers
- E-mails show that Democrats were about to approve a second loan to Solyndra
- Report finds Labor Department’s green jobs program failing
- $737 million green jobs loan given to Nancy Pelosi’s brother-in-law
- This one graph should end the debate on wind and solar energy
- Obama to conduct campaign fundraiser with wind power stimulus recipient
- How well did Obama’s green jobs spending work out for taxpayers?
- Obama administration knew $535 million Solyndra loan was too risky
- Obama administration reworked Solyndra loan to favor private donors
- Solyndra CEO and CFO will refuse to answer questions in Congressional hearing