I waited anxiously for this Heartland Institute series of 10 5-minute podcasts on education to finish, and now it’s finally done!
Here are the links:
- In episode 0, the introduction, we respond to the question, Why Do We Need School Reform?
- In episode 1, surveys reveal that parents who choose independent schools do so on the basis of academics, not athletics or convenience.
- In episode 2, we discuss how allowing tax dollars to follow the child will give parents more control over their child’s education.
- In episode 3, competition encourages creativity and lessens mediocrity.
- In episode 4, choice makes parents accountable and frees leaders from excessive regulation.
- In episode 5, school choice enables teachers to recover lost freedoms.
- In episode 6, funding should be adequate to enable parents to chose high-quality schools, but parents should be allowed to add their own dollars.
- In episode 7, voucher programs help teachers by paving the way for better teachers to receive higher pay.
- In episode 8, private schools should be allowed to retain their self-government. This autonomy is in the best interest of the public.
- In episode 9, school choice promotes and protects the institutions and organizations that create and protect democracy.
- In episode 10, school choice creates a genuine free market for education, free from rules.
The booklet that the series is based on is here as a PDF.