About two weeks ago, I blogged about record ice extents in the ARCTIC (north pole).
Now, here’s a new story about record ice extents in the ANTARCTIC (south pole) – and from the radically leftist Washington Post, no less.
Antarctic sea ice has grown to a record large extent for a second straight year, baffling scientists seeking to understand why this ice is expanding rather than shrinking in a warming world.
On Saturday, the ice extent reached 19.51 million square kilometers, according to data posted on the National Snow and Ice Data Center Web site. That number bested record high levels set earlier this month and in 2012 (of 19.48 million square kilometers). Records date back to October 1978.
[…]In a new study in the Journal of Climate, Zhang finds both strengthening and converging winds around the South Pole can explain 80 percent of the increase in ice volume which has been observed.
“The polar vortex that swirls around the South Pole is not just stronger than it was when satellite records began in the 1970s, it has more convergence, meaning it shoves the sea ice together to cause ridging,” the study’s press release explains. “Stronger winds also drive ice faster, which leads to still more deformation and ridging. This creates thicker, longer-lasting ice, while exposing surrounding water and thin ice to the blistering cold winds that cause more ice growth.”
But no one seems to have a conclusive answer as to why winds are behaving this way.
“I haven’t seen a clear explanation yet of why the winds have gotten stronger,” Zhang told Michael Lemonick of Climate Central.
Some point to stratospheric ozone depletion, but a new study published in the Journal of Climate notes that computer models simulate declining – not increasing – Antarctic sea ice in recent decades due to this phenomenon (aka the ozone “hole”).
“This modeled Antarctic sea ice decrease in the last three decades is at odds with observations, which show a small yet statistically significant increase in sea ice extent,”says the study, led by Colorado State University atmospheric scientist Elizabeth Barnes.
It’s a mystery. How could global warming be false?
Two weeks ago it was Arctic ice extents
Let’s review my previous post about how ARCTIC ice extents had increased 60% from last year, despite predictions by the socialist BBC.
From the UK Telegraph.
A cold Arctic summer has led to a record increase in the ice cap, leading experts to predict a period of global cooling.
There has been a 60 per cent increase in the amount of ocean covered with ice compared to this time last year, they equivalent of almost a million square miles.
In a rebound from 2012′s record low an unbroken ice sheet more than half the size of Europe already stretches from the Canadian islands to Russia’s northern shores, days before the annual re-freeze is even set to begin.
The Northwest Passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific has remained blocked by pack-ice all year, forcing some ships to change their routes.
A leaked report to the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) seen by the Mail on Sunday, has led some scientists to claim that the world is heading for a period of cooling that will not end until the middle of this century.
If correct, it would contradict computer forecasts of imminent catastrophic warming. The news comes several years after the BBC predicted that the arctic would be ice-free by 2013.
Despite the original forecasts, major climate research centres now accept that there has been a “pause” in global warming since 1997.
The original predictions led to billions being invested in green measures to combat the effects of climate change.
It’s so bad that environmentalists who thought there wouldn’t be any ice are trapped!
Not only have we had 15 years with no significant global warming, but now we have record ice extents in both the north pole and the south pole. Global warming alarmism is nothing but mythology dressed in a cheap tuxedo. When is the anti-science hysteria of the left going to end? What evidence will it take to convince them not to believe in fairies and leprechauns? I know they get a lot of brainwashing in public schools and universities, but eventually, they get out and they can look through telescopes and microscopes and see for themselves what is real. When experimental science has spoken about observations, then secularist doomsday fiction must give way. Mustn’t it?
- UK scientists predict global cooling after record Arctic ice growth
- New York Times: no global warming in the last 15 years, despite CO2 increase
- Another failed prediction for global warming: fewer extreme weather events
- Global warming: Scotland hit by blizzards, road closures and 8 inches of snow
- New EPA report: natural gas prodution is even cleaner than previously thought
- Reuters: scientists struggling to explain 15 years of global cooling
- Report: biofuels raise the cost of gas for little environmental benefit
- Global warming in the UK: coldest March in 50 years, winter extending into spring
- Democrat senator Barbara Boxer introduces carbon tax legislation
- New study: Earth was warmer 1000 years ago, during Medieval Warming Period
- New study: there has been no global warming since 1997
- New study finds that cosmic rays and the sun cause global warming
- Global warmist Phil Jones admits there’s been no global warming since 1995
- Chairman of UN’s IPCC used bogus claims to grab global warming cash
- Does global warming increase the frequency of hurricanes?
- Canadian government finds polar bear population up 163% since mid-1980s