The Heritage Foundation reports.
Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast, which serves southeast Texas and Louisiana, agreed this week to pay $1.4 million to the state of Texas, settling claims that one of the largest abortion providers in the Southeast had fraudulently overbilled the state’s Medicaid program.
Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott’s office stated that its investigation into the fraud allegations “revealed that Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast improperly billed the Texas Medicaid program for products and services that were never actually rendered, not medically necessary, and were not covered by the Medicaid program.”
The Texas Planned Parenthood allegedly “falsified material information in patients’ medical records” to bolster fraudulent claims for reimbursement.
Alliance Defending Freedom’s recent analysis of state and federal audits of family planning programs suggests that in 12 states, Planned Parenthood affiliates overbilled Medicaid for more than $8 million. One federal audit of New York’s Medicaid family planning program reported that certain providers, “especially Planned Parenthoods,” had engaged in improper practices resulting in overpayment.
Despite mounting accusations of fraud, the organization that performs roughly one out of every four abortions in the U.S. has continued to ride the waves of taxpayer funding to annual surpluses. During its last reporting year alone, Planned Parenthood received over half a billion dollars in taxpayer government funding, all the while performing a record 333,964 abortions. To solidify its place as the top abortion provider in the country, Planned Parenthood announced that all local affiliates would have to begin providing abortion services starting in 2013.
A one million dollar fine doesn’t seem like much, compared to over $500 million in taxpayer subsidies. But it’s a start. Abortion is a for-profit business. If we make abortion unprofitable, then abortion will go away.
- Live Action sting: abortion clinic recommends drowning live baby in toilet
- Barack Obama to largest abortion provider Planned Parenthood: God Bless You
- Video: Planned Parenthood defends infanticide / post-birth abortion
- Abortion provider Planned Parenthood receives record amount of taxpayer funding
- Abortion profiteers Planned Parenthood spending $12 million to re-elect Obama
- Planned Parenthood issues statement admitting that they do not offer mammograms
- Hawaii Planned Parenthood caught counseling sex-selection abortions
- War on women: Obama and Democrats oppose ban on sex-selection abortion
- Live Action sting: Planned Parenthood counsels late-term sex-selection abortion
- Does the United Way give money to abortion-provider Planned Parenthood?
- New House GOP bill de-funds Planned Parenthood
- Obama administration wants birth control to be covered by health insurance
- Obama administration threatens Indiana for defunding Planned Parenthood
- Are the Girl Scouts linked to the abortion provider Planned Parenthood?
- 91% of Planned Parenthood clinics help hide statutory rapists
- What is Planned Parenthood and why do Democrats support them?
- Does Planned Parenthood really use taxpayer money to provide mammograms?
- Planned Parenthood stung three more times by Live Action
- Planned Parenthood caught helping pimp to run underage sex-trafficking ring
- Planned Parenthood releases annual report – 324,008 babies aborted
- Undercover video of Planned Parenthood selling abortion with misinformation
- Is Planned Parenthood overbilling state and local governments?
- Planned Parenthood conceals rape and breaks the law
- How much money does Planned Parenthood receive from taxpayers?
- How much profit does the non-profit Planned Parenthood make?