Exclusive story from Fox News. This one is a must-read. (H/T Weasel Zippers via ECM)
Fox News has learned from sources who were on the ground in Benghazi that an urgent request from the CIA annex for military back-up during the attack on the U.S. consulate and subsequent attack several hours later on the annex itself was denied by the CIA chain of command — who also told the CIA operators twice to “stand down” rather than help the ambassador’s team when shots were heard at approximately 9:40 p.m. in Benghazi on Sept. 11.
Former Navy SEAL Tyrone Woods was part of a small team who was at the CIA annex about a mile from the U.S. consulate where Ambassador Chris Stevens and his team came under attack. When he and others heard the shots fired, they informed their higher-ups at the annex to tell them what they were hearing and requested permission to go to the consulate and help out. They were told to “stand down,” according to sources familiar with the exchange. Soon after, they were again told to “stand down.”
Woods and at least two others ignored those orders and made their way to the consulate which at that point was on fire. Shots were exchanged. The rescue team from the CIA annex evacuated those who remained at the consulate and Sean Smith, who had been killed in the initial attack. They could not find the ambassador and returned to the CIA annex at about midnight.
At that point, they called again for military support and help because they were taking fire at the CIA safe house, or annex. The request was denied. There were no communications problems at the annex, according those present at the compound. The team was in constant radio contact with their headquarters. In fact, at least one member of the team was on the roof of the annex manning a heavy machine gun when mortars were fired at the CIA compound. The security officer had a laser on the target that was firing and repeatedly requested back-up support from a [AC-130] Spectre gunship, which is commonly used by U.S. Special Operations forces to provide support to Special Operations teams on the ground involved in intense firefights.
Respected military blogger and former paratrooper BlackFive has more details here (H/T ECM) from a Delta Force operator who thinks that the AC-130 was “on station”, i.e. – in flight:
Having spent a good bit of time nursing a GLD (ground Laser Designator) in several garden spots around the world, something from the report jumped out at me.One of the former SEALs was actively painting the target. That means that Specter WAS ON STATION! Probably an AC130U. A ground laser designator is not a briefing pointer laser. You do not “paint” a target until the weapons system/designator is synched; which means that the AC130 was on station.Only two places could have called off the attack at that point; the WH situation command (based on POTUS direction) or AFRICOM commander based on information directly from the target area.If the AC130 never left Sigonella (as Penetta says) that means that the Predator that was filming the whole thing was armed.If that SEAL was actively “painting” a target; something was on station to engage! And the decision to stand down goes directly to POTUS!
And BlackFive himself writes:
Even with two Predators on station, one unarmed and filming and one armed, the call to stand down comes from the same sources. Earlier today, Bob Owens at PJ Media posts about the responsibility of the order to call off the mission as well as some good info about the AC130s on station.
Here’s the Predator:
AC-130 gunships and Predator drones are incredibly accurate when the target is being “lit” by a laser target designator (LTID) on the ground. There was no reason not to engage, and lives could have been saved. Instead, the Obama administration did nothing. This is worse than Watergate. Nobody was murdered by our enemies in Watergate. Nobody died because Nixon lied.
Gateway Pundit has already pointed out that the Obama administration refused to call for support that was an hour away in Italy.
The father of the ex-Navy SEAL killed at the consulate is calling for accountability from “the murderers of my son“. Will Obama respond? Or should we expect the same response as he gave to the death of the Border Patrol agent killed because his administration’s “Fast and Furious” gun-running operation?
UPDATE: CIA director David Petraeus confirms that “No one at any level in the CIA told anybody not to help those in need; claims to the contrary are simply inaccurate” . The Weekly Standard agrees that it was likely a decision made by the President himself.
- White House told that terrorists took credit for Benghazi attack within two hours
- Unmanned drone observed Benghazi attack, no help sent for 7 hours
- CIA in Libya reported that Benghazi was a terrorist attack in first 24 hours
- Israel reports first use of shoulder-fired surface-air-missiles by Gaza terrorists
- Biased CNN liberal moderator Candy Crowley admits Romney correct about Benghazi
- Obama’s Watergate: State Department falsifies Obama’s Benghazi cover-up
- Benghazi attack was a massive failure of Obama’s security policy
- Obama justifies censorship by blaming a Youtube clip for a planned terrorist attack
- UK Independent: “America ‘was warned of embassy attack but did nothing’”
- Al Qaeda chief suspect in Libya terrorist attack, Obama flies to Las Vegas fundraiser
- Obama administration warns contractors to delay layoffs to after election
- Obama wants to send $1 billion of aid to Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt
- Report: Iran shipping arms and personnel to Syria through Iraq
- Obama is skipping over half of his daily intelligence briefings (PDBs)
- The top 10 foreign policy failures of the Obama administration
- Russian attack submarine operates undetected in Gulf of Mexico for a month
- Democrat defense cuts to an already weakened military expose us to aggression
- Richard Miniter: Obama canceled Bin Laden kill mission THREE TIMES
- Can the Democrats be trusted to protect our national security?
- Obama administration leaked name of British agent who stopped Al Qaeda attack
- Obama overrides Congress to send $192 million to Palestinian Authority
- Obama’s neutrality on the Falklands dispute puts special relationship at risk
- Obama’s Arab Spring: Rockets fired from Egypt hit Israeli city
- Is the Obama administration behind the leak of Israel’s plan to strike Iran?
- Top Iranian official assisting Syria to crackdown on protestors
- Former DEA chief warns of cooperation between Hezbollah and drug cartels
- Iran launches Spanish-language TV channel in Venezuela
- Obama’s defense cuts undermine our national security
- Iran set to steal military technology from the drone Obama gave them
- Iraq plunges into chaos as U.S. troops withdraw
- Iran laughs as Obama pleads for return of unmanned drone
3 thoughts on “Requests for support from Benghazi defenders denied by the Obama administration”
This handling of the embassy attack is enough for Obama to be removed as president. Period. As you said, Watergate was bad but nobody died. This on the other hand…did. On top of that, I believe the Obama administration is in denial concerning the reality that terrorists are out there against us, even in country where we were in favor of a new regime.
Even if we don’t impeach him for this, it shows that he has to go, because he can’t do foreign policy or national security worth a damn.
I agree…I also see this as more than a policy issue but a moral failure of leadership if it turns out that he’s been lying and have blood on his hands.