There are two kinds of stem-cell research. The first kind is called embryonic stem-cell research (ESCR). This kind is opposed by pro-lifers because it kills unborn persons by extracting their stem cells for use in medical research. The second kind is called adult stem-cell research (ASCR). This kind is supported by pro-lifers.
Which kind produces more scientific discoveries and new treatments?
Well, consider this article from Life News which describes a new treatment made possible by ethical adult stem cell research. (H/T Mary)
Adult stem cells are responsible for another incredible scientific breakthrough.
On Thursday at the AIDS 2012 Conference in Washington, DC, researchers unveiled that two HIV-positive men have been found to be HIV-free following bone marrow transplants. Researchers believe giving bone marrow transplants, which by nature involve the use of adult stem cells, to patients undergoing anti-retroviral therapy could potentially cure the AIDS-causing virus.
“We expected HIV to vanish from the patients’ plasma, but it is surprising that we can’t find any traces of HIV in their cells,” said Dr. Timothy Henrich, one of the researchers studying the two men. “It suggests that under the cover of anti-retroviral therapy, the cells that repopulated the patient’s immune system appear to be protected from becoming re-infected with HIV.”
Only time will tell if the two men have been permanently cured of the virus. “Studies over time including biopsies of lymphatic tissue would be required,” said Dr. Michael Saag, an infectious disease expert from University of Alabama at Birmingham.
Pro-abortion people love to throw money at unethical embryonic stem cell research, but the real cures are all being produced by adult stem cell research.
In case you haven’t been following the controversy over stem cell research and the different viewpoints of the Bush and Obama administrations, here is a good article from Public Discourse that tells the story.
- Two more adult stem cell treatments discovered
- Adult stem cells therapy can fix a broken heart?
- New study: adult stem cells are almost identical to embryonic stem cells
- New study: adult stem cells used in breast cancer treatment
- Doctors grow new trachea from patient’s own adult stem cells
- Adult stem cells used to grow a new heart
- Adult stem cells used to restore sight to patients blinded by chemical burns
- British boy becomes first in the world to have stem cell transplant
- ABC News reports on how adult stem cells produce innovative cures today
- Ethically-sound adult stem cell research cures paralysis in human patients
- Chinese scientists announce stem-cell research breakthrough
- Major breakthrough in adult stem-cell research