From CBS News.
House Republicans investigating the Fast and Furious scandal plan to pursue a contempt citation against Attorney General Eric Holder, senior congressional aides told CBS News.
The resolution will accuse Holder and his Justice Department of obstructing the congressional probe into the allegations that the government let thousands of weapons fall into the hands of Mexican drug cartels.
The citation would attempt to force Holder to turn over tens of thousands of pages of documents related to the probe, which has entered its second year.
For months, congressional Republicans probing ATF’s Fast and Furious “Gunwalker” scandal – led by California Republican Rep. Darrell Issa, have been investigating a contempt citation. They’ve worked quietly behind the scenes to build support among fellow Republicans, since it could ultimately face a full House vote.
CBS News has confirmed that House Speaker John Boehner, an Ohio Republican, was provided a 48-page long draft by Issa, who heads the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.
“While there are very legitimate arguments to be made in favor of such an action, no decision has been made to move forward with one by the Speaker or by House Republican leaders,” a Republican leadership aide told CBS News.
[…]In the case of Holder and Fast and Furious, the Oversight Committee’s contempt resolution could eventually have a full House vote and, if passed, Congress could seek enforcement through federal courts. Passage of the resolution itself could, however, encourage the Justice Department to comply even without a court order.
[…]A contempt citing by Congress against the executive branch, a strong sanction, is considered by some to be politically risky; especially if it doesn’t succeed. Sources say that’s why Republican staffers have taken a great deal of time trying to build support among colleagues in advance of the citation’s formal release, which could come in the next few weeks if not sooner.
If you are not familiar with the Obama administration’s plan to facilitate the sale of firearms to Mexican drug cartels, in order to provide justification for stiffer gun control laws, then please check out the links below.
- Eric Holder wants to brainwash people against legal gun ownership
- Fast and Furious’ goal was to undermine legal firearm ownership
- Obama administration tries to cover up Border Patrol agent’s murder
- Eric Holder testifies on Fast and Furious gun smuggling to Mexican drug cartels
- Fast and Furious assault weapons seized from drug cartel enforcer’s home
- Republicans call for AG Eric Holder to resign over newly released e-mails
- Did attorney general Eric Holder lie to Congress about gun sales to drug cartels?
- New Operation Fast and Furious e-mails sent to White House official
- Janet Napolitano, Eric Holder and the plan to sell guns to Mexican drug cartels
- Did attorney general Eric Holder know about Operation Fast and Furious?
- Border patrol agent equipped with BEAN BAGS shot dead by illegal alien
- Obama administration allowed American gun shipments to Mexican cartels
- Slain border agent’s family unimpressed by Janet Napolitano’s indifference