From the Associated Press. (H/T Dad)
Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney renewed his support Wednesday for automatic increases in the federal minimum wage to keep pace with inflation, a position sharply at odds with traditional GOP business allies, conservatives and the party’s senior lawmakers.
“I haven’t changed my thoughts on that,” the former Massachusetts governor told reporters aboard his chartered campaign plane, referring to a stand he has held for a decade.
He did not say if he would ask Congress to approve the change if he wins the White House this fall.
Congress first enacted federal minimum wage legislation in 1938 and has raised it sporadically in the years since. The last increase, approved in 2007, took effect in three installments and reached $7.25 an hour for covered workers effective July 24, 2009.
It has never been allowed to rise automatically, as Romney envisions.
Romney’s chief rival for the nomination, Newt Gingrich, criticized Romney for the stance, pointing to previous periods of hyperinflation and saying it would end up costing way too much money. “That would be a very dangerous idea,” Gingrich said.
Romney also drew criticism from the anti-tax Club for Growth. “Indexing the minimum wage would be an absolute job killer,” the group’s president, Chris Chocola, said in a statement. He called the proposal “anti-growth.”
Why are we flirting with someone who has the same anti-growth, anti-business policies as Barack Obama?
- Rick Santorum destroys Mitt Romney on RomneyCare in CNN debate
- Mitt Romney’s tax returns would make him lose the election to Obama
- Does Mitt Romney’s Romneycare health care plan fund abortion with taxpayer dollars?
- John Hawkins writes the most scathing anti-Romney column EVER
- Santorum and Gingrich expose Romney’s liberal record in Sunday’s NBC debate
- Mitt Romney raised taxes by $740 million while he was governor of Massachusetts
- Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum: who has the pro-life record on abortion?
- RINO Mitt Romney now open to European-style VAT tax
- Is Mitt Romney a flip-flopper? What are his flip-flops?
- RINO Mitt Romney deploys another RINO John Sununu to attack Newt Gingrich
- Mitt Romney supports the anti-Christian and anti-business ENDA law
- Mitt Romney gaffe: Romney fails miserably in interview with Bret Baier
- Jon Huntsman’s anti-Romney ads are awesome
- Mitt Romney’s political views on gay marriage, abortion and global warming
- Mitt Romney flip-flop videos: flat tax, abortion, health care, public sector unions, global warming
- Mitt Romney on global warming, climate change, environmental regulations
- Mitt Romney on abortion and stem cell research in his own words
- White House used Mitt Romney’s Romneycare as a blueprint for Obamacare
- Mitt Romney on the issues: Mitt Romney political views and positions in 2012