Story here are Watts Up With That. (H/T ECM)
The details on this are still sketchy, we’ll probably never know what went on. But it appears that University of East Anglia Climate Research Unit has been hacked and many many files have been released by the hacker or person unknown.
This e-mail is one of the ones released:
From: Phil Jones
To: ray bradley ,mann@[snipped], mhughes@
Subject: Diagram for WMO Statement
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 13:31:15 +0000
Dear Ray, Mike and Malcolm,
Once Tim’s got a diagram here we’ll send that either later today or first thing tomorrow. I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd [sic] from1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline. Mike’s series got the annual land and marine values while the other two got April-Sept for NH land N of 20N. The latter two are real for 1999, while the estimate for 1999 for NH combined is +0.44C wrt 61-90. The Global estimate for 1999 with data through Oct is +0.35C cf. 0.57 for 1998.
Thanks for the comments, Ray.
Prof. Phil Jones
Climatic Research Unit
I wonder how they will explain that.
Hot Air is reporting that CRU admits that these e-mails are genuine:
Controversy has exploded onto the Internet after a major global-warming advocacy center in the UK had its e-mail system hacked and the data published on line. The director of the University of East Anglia Climate Research Unit confirmed that the e-mails are genuine — and Australian publication Investigate and the Australian Herald-Sun report that those e-mails expose a conspiracy to hide detrimental information from the public that argues against global warming.
The Hot Air link has more very suspicious langugage.
- Climate Research Unit servers hacked, e-mails made public
- Comparison of hockey stick graph data to a larger data set in the same area
- Government-funded research unit destroyed original climate data
- The state of the debate about catastrophic man-made global warming
- Peer-reviewed article in journal Science says solar activity impacts climate
- Famous UN IPCC hockey stick graph is based on cherry-picked data
- Princeton physics professor testifies to Senate about global warming
- Global warming advocates refuse to give their data to skeptics
- Peer-reviewed article in journal Science says prior ice melting caused by solar variation
- Oceans are not warming now
- Polar ice caps are not melting now
- Polar bear populations are not decreasing now
- Global warming is not caused by humans