This article from the American Spectator provides the answer.
Left-wing activists are indignant at obscene oil company profits, hefty CEO bonuses, and sweet golden parachutes — but what about expansion of the No. 1 violator of human rights in the United States?
No, it’s not Dick Cheney and the CIA. It’s Planned Parenthood. The abortion giant took home $85 million in “excess of revenue over expenses” (a nifty way of saying profits) and had an operating budget of over $1 billion for the 2007-2008 fiscal year, according to its latest annual report. Included in that budget was $350 million in “government grants and contracts” (an equally nifty way of saying your tax dollars). An increase in the number of abortions performed helped fuel the profits.
Should government money be going to special interest groups that helped Obama to get elected?
Uncle Sam helps, too. The federal government has morphed into Planned Parenthood’s sugar daddy, and the co-dependency is only going to get worse in the age of Obama. Fully one-third of the organization’s revenue last year came from the government, compared with less than one-fourth from private contributions. If Planned Parenthood can’t get your money voluntarily, its advocates in Congress will coercively.
That’s why limited government advocates have a stake in the pro-life cause. On April 15, over one million Americans flocked to state capitals, public parks, and town halls to protest runaway government spending — and rightly so. Although most of the movement’s furor was directed at bailouts and stimulus packages, government’s love tryst with the abortion lobby should be exhibit A in the tea partiers’ future arsenal.
The first target should be Obama’s executive order rescinding the Mexico City Policy, which had ensured that American taxpayer funds would never be used for overseas abortions. The move didn’t get much ink because of the media’s preoccupation with the economic crisis, but it stands as an example of both Obama’s abortion radicalism and intention, even in a troubled economy, to throw public money at groups that helped him get elected.
Yet another reason why fiscal conservatives should be social conservatives.
- Does Planned Parenthood really use taxpayer money to provide mammograms?
- Feminists push liberal sexual agenda at United Nations
- House Republicans win vote to defund Planned Parenthood
- Planned Parenthood stung three more times by Live Action
- Planned Parenthood caught helping pimp to run underage sex-trafficking ring
- Planned Parenthood releases annual report – 324,008 babies aborted
- Undercover video of Planned Parenthood selling abortion with misinformation
- How much money does Planned Parenthood receive from taxpayers?
- How much profit does the non-profit Planned Parenthood make?
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure charity funds Planned Parenthood
- Is Planned Parenthood overbilling state and local governments?
- Rep. Mike Pence drafts amendment to defund Planned Parenthood
- Planned Parenthood conceals rape and breaks the law