From Fox News.
Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum said Saturday the U.S. was wrong to condemn the killing of an Iranian nuclear scientist this week.
The Obama administration’s public posture on the death Wednesday of Mostafa Ahmadi Roshan does not reflect the hard line Santorum supports in keeping Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons, the former Pennsylvania senator said while campaigning in conservative upstate South Carolina.
“Our country condemned it. My feeling is we should have kept our mouth shut,” Santorum told about 200 people packed into a popular breakfast diner in Greenville.
Santorum is vying to emerge as conservatives’ alternative to former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney in the Jan. 21 South Carolina primary. Romney leads in public and private polls of likely voters, although former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is within striking distance, with a week to go before balloting begins.
However, Santorum has risen here since his breakthrough near-tie with Romney in the Iowa caucuses on Jan. 3. He has a robust state organization and is making aggressive inroads with evangelical conservatives, like many of those who were at the Country Ham House Saturday morning.
And while Santorum stresses values issues, he has also argued for a tough stand on Iran’s nuclear capability. Responding to a question in Greenville, he said he supports missile strikes to stop its nuclear program, if Iran refuses to submit to inspections.
“If these are people who are developing a weapon to be used to either destroy the state of Israel or to spread terror — a reign of terror — around the world, we shouldn’t be sitting on the sidelines and letting it happen,” he said. “They cannot have a nuclear weapon, because you, in Greenville, will not be safe.”
That’s what I’ve been saying for months. There are things we could be doing to show them that having nuclear weapons and interfering in Syria and Iraq are not good ideas for them. Covert operations, arming student groups, pro-West broadcasts, little “accidents” at Iranian training camps in Venezuela. Nice country you got there, guv’nor. Would be a shame if anything were to ‘appen to it.
- 150 evangelical leaders agree to endorse Rick Santorum after two-day conference
- Why Christians and social conservatives should vote for Rick Santorum
- Rick Santorum’s pro-family economic plan TRIPLES the child tax deduction
- Is Rick Santorum conservative or liberal? What are Rick Santorum’s political views?
- Rick Santorum helps liberal college students to understand the logic of marriage
- George Will: Rick Santorum connects with the working class
- Video and transcript of Rick Santorum’s inspiring Iowa victory speech
- Rick Santorum for President of the United States
- Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum: who has the pro-life record on abortion?
- Rick Santorum wins Fox News Republican primary debate (with video)
- Rick Santorum explains why socialism is hostile to the family