From Investors Business Daily.
President Obama’s Department of Health and Human Services has withdrawn $30 million worth of funding from a Texas Medicaid program that provides health care services for low-income women.
It did so because Texas recently passed a law that said its Women’s Health Program could not disperse funds to abortion and contraception providers such as Planned Parenthood.
Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius personally traveled to Houston to make the announcement that the Obama administration would cut funding of the program and would no longer continue the waiver that Texas had previously been given to continue funding of the program temporarily.
Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott has issued an opinion declaring that federal law allows states to exclude abortion providers and their affiliated organizations from Medicaid. In a letter to Obama, Texas Gov. Perry accused the administration of trying to violate states’ rights “by mandating which health providers the state of Texas must use.”
WHP provides health services to 130,000 low-income women. Of the more than 1,000 certified WHP providers across the state, the Texas law excludes fewer than 100 Planned Parenthood providers. Yet the Obama administration is willing to cut off all the other providers and all the women who receive health care through them in pursuit of its ideological agenda.
Texas considers Planned Parenthood, which performs 300,000 abortions a year, a poor allocation of public funds intended to promote women’s health, noting they cannot treat breast cancer and do not have a single mammogram machine in the entire state of Texas. But if you want an abortion or contraceptives, Planned Parenthood provides one-stop shopping for that.
Nor does Planned Parenthood need public funds. As we’ve noted, when the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation announced it was planning to stop giving money to Planned Parenthood, within hours some 6,000 donors pledged a total of $400,000. A family in Dallas offered $250,000, and New York’s Mayor Bloomberg promised to match that.
In other news, Sandra Fluke admitted that she had no idea that she could get birth control from Target for $9 a month.
Related posts on Planned Parenthood
- Does the United Way give money to abortion-provider Planned Parenthood?
- New House GOP bill de-funds Planned Parenthood
- Obama administration wants birth control to be covered by health insurance
- Obama administration threatens Indiana for defunding Planned Parenthood
- Are the Girl Scouts linked to the abortion provider Planned Parenthood?
- 91% of Planned Parenthood clinics help hide statutory rapists
- What is Planned Parenthood and why do Democrats support them?
- Does Planned Parenthood really use taxpayer money to provide mammograms?
- Feminists push liberal sexual agenda at United Nations
- Planned Parenthood stung three more times by Live Action
- Planned Parenthood caught helping pimp to run underage sex-trafficking ring
- Planned Parenthood releases annual report – 324,008 babies aborted
- Undercover video of Planned Parenthood selling abortion with misinformation
- Is Planned Parenthood overbilling state and local governments?
- Planned Parenthood conceals rape and breaks the law
- How much money does Planned Parenthood receive from taxpayers?
- How much profit does the non-profit Planned Parenthood make?
- Researchers link rise in some cancers to increased sexual activity
- Should birth control pills be dispensed over the counter?
- Another study confirms the link between abortion and breast cancer
- New study finds that abortion increases risk of breast cancer by 40%