Consider how the intelligence that led to bin Laden came to hand. It began with a disclosure from Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (KSM), who broke like a dam under the pressure of harsh interrogation techniques that included waterboarding. He loosed a torrent of information — including eventually the nickname of a trusted courier of bin Laden. That regimen of harsh interrogation was used on KSM after another detainee, Abu Zubaydeh, was subjected to the same techniques. When he broke, he said that he and other members of al-Qaeda were obligated to resist only until they could no longer do so, at which point it became permissible for them to yield. “Do this for all the brothers,” he advised his interrogators. . . .
The harsh techniques themselves were used selectively against only a small number of hard-core prisoners who successfully resisted other forms of interrogation, and then only with the explicit authorization of the director of the CIA. Of the thousands of unlawful combatants captured by the U.S., fewer than 100 were detained and questioned in the CIA program. Of those, fewer than one-third were subjected to any of these techniques.
[…]President Obama ran for election on the promise to do away with these techniques even before he became aware, if he ever did, of what they were. Days after taking office, he directed that the CIA interrogation program be done away with entirely and that interrogation be limited to the techniques set forth in the Army Field Manual, a document designed for use by even the least experienced troops. It’s available on the Internet and used by terrorists as a training manual for resisting interrogation.
Jennifer Rubin, writing in the left-wing Washington Post comments on the Mukasey column.
In addition to eliminating the very techniques that allowed us to track down and kill bin Laden, Obama has permitted the Justice Department to reopen investigation of previously cleared CIA operatives. Mukasey explains: “ I say ‘reopening’ advisedly because those investigations had all been formally closed by the end of 2007, with detailed memoranda prepared by career Justice Department prosecutors explaining why no charges were warranted. Attorney General Eric Holder conceded that he had ordered the investigations reopened in September 2009 without reading those memoranda. The investigations have now dragged on for years with prosecutors chasing allegations down rabbit holes, with the CIA along with the rest of the intelligence community left demoralized.”
That’s right – Barack Obama has intimidated the entire intelligence community with his prosecution of CIA operatives who were judged innocent. Does his decision to prosecute CIA counter-terrorism experts make us safer from terrorist attacks?
And just look at how he treated the 9/11 widow Debra Burlingame. He literally turned his back on her just because she asked him why he is continuing to prosecute the CIA interrogators for doing their jobs. That’s the real Barack Obama. He can’t take a question, he can’t handle criticism. He has no civility for people who disagree with him.
- CIA Director Leon Panetta confirms that waterboarding led to Osama Bin Laden
- How George W. Bush’s secret CIA prisons and waterboarding killed Osama Bin Laden
- Terrorist attacks under George W. Bush and Barack Obama
- Thomas Sowell explains how liberal pacifism causes wars
- Charles Krauthammer and Ralph Peters on Obama’s foreign policy
- Is the Obama administration deliberately weakening our military?
- Democrats favor terrorist rights over national security in latest intelligence bill
- Marc Thiessen defends water-boarding against Christiane Amanpour
- Al-Quaeda linked to failed terrorist attack on Northwest Airlines airliner
- What are the consequencs of treating terrorism as a law enforcement issue?
- Which is more cruel and immoral? Waterboarding or abortion?
- Are Democrats fixing national security or fixing the blame on others?
- Homeland security chair says Swedish grandmothers just as likely to be terrorists
- Homeland Security director says that “the system worked”
- What is Obama working on instead of making Americans safer?
- Is waterboarding really torture? Does it enhance our national security?
- Obama cuts missile defense as Iran test-fires missile that can hit Israel
- What is the conservative doctrine of “peace through strength”?