From Investors Business Daily.
Newly obtained documents show that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives discussed using its covert operation Fast and Furious to argue for new rules about gun sales. We told you so.
[…]As CBS’ Sharyl Attkisson reports, emails show ATF officials discussed using the deliberate transfer of weapons to Mexican drug cartels to justify a new gun regulation known as “Demand Letter 3.”
We say deliberate because congressional testimony by ATF agents demonstrates how the tracking of Fast and Furious weapons stopped at the border and that requests to interdict the weapons transfers and arrest the gun traffickers were denied by higher-ups.
Demand Letter 3 was so named because it was the third ATF attempt to have Southwest gun shops report all long-gun (rifle or shotgun) sales to the ATF — even those to law-abiding American citizens with all the proper registration and other forms.
On July 14, 2010, five months before Terry’s murder, ATF Field Ops Assistant Director Mark Chait emailed Bill Newell, the ATF’s Phoenix special agent in charge of Fast and Furious: “Bill, can you see if these guns were all purchased from the same (licensed gun dealer) and at one time? We are looking at anecdotal cases to support a demand letter on long-gun sales. Thanks.”
On Jan. 24, as the ATF was preparing to announce arrests in Fast and Furious, another email showed Newell saw it as an opportunity “to address multiple sales on long guns issue.”
After the press conference, Chait emailed Newell that in “light of our request for Demand Letter 3, this case could be a strong supporting factor if we can determine how many multiple sales of long guns occurred during the course of the case.”
You can read the news article from CBS News right here. The headline is “Documents: ATF used “Fast and Furious” to make the case for gun regulations”.
- Obama administration tries to cover up Border Patrol agent’s murder
- Republicans call for AG Eric Holder to resign over newly released e-mails
- Did attorney general Eric Holder lie to Congress about gun sales to drug cartels?
- New Operation Fast and Furious e-mails sent to White House official
- Janet Napolitano, Eric Holder and the plan to sell guns to Mexican drug cartels
- Did attorney general Eric Holder know about Operation Fast and Furious?
- Border patrol agent equipped with BEAN BAGS shot dead by illegal alien
- Obama administration allowed American gun shipments to Mexican cartels
- Slain border agent’s family unimpressed by Janet Napolitano’s indifference
- Homeland Security Secreary Janet Napolitano to counter global warming threat
- Obama administration investigates Wisconsin pro-lifers
- Homeland Security head says that “the system worked”
- Democrats will push amnesty to give 12-20 million illegal aliens citizenship
- Has political correctness made the FBI impotent against real terrorist threats?
- Civil rights commission finds that Obama administration has racist double standard
- Is Obama’s Department of Justice enabling voter registration fraud?
- Department of Justice won’t purge dead or ineligible voters from roll
- Obama’s attorney general has his head in the sand on national security
- Democrats and pro-abortion groups target pro-lifers in FBI and DOJ training