From the UK Daily Mail. (H/T Dina)
A businessman who confronted a burglar raiding his premises appeared in court yesterday accused of attacking him.
Andrew Woodhouse, 43, was chasing thieves off his property when he claims one of them ‘came at’ him with a wooden stick.
Father-of-five Woodhouse allegedly used the stick to injure the man’s legs before holding him down while his wife called the police.
But when officers arrived they arrested Woodhouse and held him in a cell for 18 hours.
He appeared at Newport Crown Court yesterday charged with grievous bodily harm with intent which has a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.
Andrew Taylor, defending, said: ‘Mr Woodhouse apprehended two of the burglars at his tyre depot.
‘It happened after two or three men decided they were going to remove a large quantity of diesel from his premises.
‘Mr Woodhouse has been interviewed by police and has provided a full explanation about what happened.
‘There is a CCTV recording of the incident and we are waiting to see the footage.’
[…]Woodhouse was in bed with his wife Lisa at their detached home in the village of Govilon, near Abergavenny, when his burglar alarm went off at about 12.30am.
[…]Woodhouse drove to his business premises where the alleged assault happened.
[…]His wife Lisa said her husband was prepared to go through the legal process to clear his name.
She said: ‘But I fail to see where there was any intent on Andrew’s part.
‘He didn’t intend to get up in the middle of the night to assault anyone. All he did was protect his property.
‘People may think he took the law into his own hands but what was he supposed to do, stand by and watch?’
Woodhouse employs six staff including two of his sons at the family business, which was set up 20 years ago.
The firm has lost £15,000 in recent years to thefts of diesel and tools.
Two fuel thieves who stole £50 worth of diesel from Woodhouse’s premises on the night of the alleged assault have been dealt with in court.
Timothy Cross, 31, and Kevin Green, 52, took two jerry cans of diesel from Woodhouse’s tyre depot in Abergavenny.
Cross and Green both admitted theft and were fined £75 by Cwmbran magistrates.
People sometimes wonder why I think that the UK is the most wussified country in the world. This is not an arbitrary opinion that I hold. The UK is a nanny state, where the people in charge treat men as if they are toddlers in day care. This country has the least respect for men and male nature of any country that I am aware of at this time. I don’t see how you could be a man and be comfortable living in a society that basically criminalizes the righteous use of force against evil. It’s so strange to me when I hear complaints from UK women about how men are not taking responsibility any more, or making commitments, or being ambitious. Well, here’s a little newsflash for you. If you treat men like children and resent them using force to defend their homes and businesses, then you are discouraging manliness. The kinds of men you will get then are wussified, feminized men who attempt nothing and defend nothing.
I was having a conversation with a friend of mine who lives in the UK recently. She was explaining to me how women who are under a certain age are given government housing if they have babies out-wedlock. What kind of message is that sending? It is telling young women that men are optional, and that they don’t have to choose men wisely in order to get one who can do the provider role. So on the one hand, men are punished by the state for protecting, and on the other, they are punished by the state for providing. The state taxes men with jobs to subsidize the losers who get sex without having to commit first. And I know that young women often prefer these men because they don’t want a man who has authority from having a job to tell them what to do. (See here for some examples)
The UK has been trying to undermine and replace men who perform the traditional male roles for decades. The role of protecting has been demonized by punishing men who protect their families and businesses. The role of providing has been marginalized through higher taxes, socialized medicine and welfare benefits. And moral and spiritual leadership have been dismantled with pervasive moral relativism, multicultaralism and secularism. Everything that a strong, virtuous man could do to be recognized has been marginalized and discredited by the socialist, feminist government of the UK. UK women have no right to complain now when men act like children – they caused it by punishing men who were only doing what good men are supposed to do in any good society.
Just 70 years ago we lived in the time of British heroes like Eric “Digger” Dowling, Guy Gibson, Douglas Bader, Patrick Reid and Tommy McPherson. I learned from watching World War 2 movies as a child that British men were courageous and fierce, and able to defend Western civilization from tyranny with force, if necessary. Now all that is going, going, gone thanks to the British socialist welfare state. Men do understand what messages the feminist welfare state is sending by subsidizing single motherhood, taxing men more when their wives stay home, criminalizing self-defense and capitalism, arresting military heroes for owning handguns, discriminating against boys in schools that are dominated by women, and so on. Men understand the message that’s being sent there, and they do adjust.
- Former soldiers arrested by UK police for defending their business from burglar
- SAS war hero jailed for keeping trophy pistol given to him by Iraqi Army
- Violent crime rate more than doubled in the four years after the 1997 UK gun ban
- If you defend your home from armed intruders in the UK, you get arrested
- UK woman warned for brandishing kitchen knife at trespassers
- UK man charged with murder after defending home from two burglars
- 72-year-old grandmother uses gun to defend her home from intruder
- Woman opens fire on gang of thugs trying to get into her home
- Wayne Grudem explains what the Bible says about self-defense
- Massachusetts man facing multiple charges for shooting a bear on his property
- Thomas Sowell: Guns can be used defensively to save lives
- 21-year-old man uses legally owned firearm to defend family from three criminals
- Woman raped at gunpoint in “gun free zone” on university campus
- Man uses firearm to defend home and 2-year-old son from criminals
- Great grandmother fires at mugger with legally-owned, legally-carried handgun
- Man who doesn’t believe in guns thanks gun owners for protecting him from burglar
- Man shoots robbery suspect to protect his 2-year-old son
- Woman uses gun to defend herself and her children from home intruder
- 12-year-old girl shoots home intruder in the shoulder with legally owned firearm
- Armed bystander stops stabbing outside school
- 14-year old boy uses parents’ handgun to deter armed intruder
- Woman defends herself from intruder using legally-owned firearm
- Recently widowed mother uses legally owned gun to defend her child
- Pregnant woman uses her shotgun to scare burglars out of her home