The Justice Department will file a lawsuit against Texas on Thursday, arguing that the state’s voter ID law violates the Voting Rights Act.
Attorney General Eric Holder vowed to fight state voting laws that the DOJ views as unfair or in violation of federal law, despite a recent Supreme Court decision striking down a key part of the Voting Rights Act (VRA).
[…]The Texas law requires voters to produce one of the following before casting a ballot: a driver’s license, a personal ID card, a military ID card, a citizenship certificate with a photograph, a U.S. passport or a license to carry a concealed handgun.
Opponents of the law argue that it unfairly discriminates against minority voters who might not have a photo ID and might not able to obtain one easily.
Many Republicans, especially the Texas delegation, have balked at the possibility of the DOJ’s lawsuit against Texas.
Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.), the former chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, blasted the DOJ’s decision to move against Texas.
The congressman said he talked with Holder and asked him to withdraw the lawsuit, arguing Congress should be the one to resolve discrepancies within the Voting Rights Act.
“I regret that the Department of Justice announced its intent to file a lawsuit against Texas’ Voter ID law citing Section 2 to the Voting Rights Act,” said Sensenbrenner in a statement. “Voter ID laws are an essential element in protecting the integrity of our electoral process and do not have a discriminatory intent or effect.
Some of my readers in other countries often ask me – “if Obama is such a bad President, then how come the majority of Americans voted for him”. Well, first of all, a lot of these people are simply voting for Obama in order to get a share of what their working neighbors earn. They want the government to give them money, in short. But a lot of the votes for Democrats are simply fraudulent votes. People voting twice in two different states, dead people’s names being used by fraudulent voters, etc. Voter fraud is a Democrat specialty. It’s so sacred to them that even Attorney General Eric Holder is suing anyone who tries to take away voter fraud. This is about what you would expect from an administration that facilitated the sale of weapons to drug cartels and covered up Benghazi by blaming a Youtube video.
- Treasury Dept. IG: IRS targeted 292 Tea Party groups but only 6 progressive groups
- New study: IRS targeting of Tea Party conservatives had significant effect on 2012 election
- Federal court: Obama appointees interfered with New Black Panther prosecution
- Obama administration sues Florida for purging non-citizens from voter rolls
- College student discovers election fraud in Indiana’s 2008 primary
- Is it “racial discrimination” to ask someone for a photo ID before they vote?
- How many ACORN employees have been convicted of voter fraud this year?
- Is Obama’s Department of Justice enabling voter registration fraud?
- Department of Justice won’t purge dead or ineligible voters from roll
- ACORN employees, voter fraud and the Democrats
- Democrats will push amnesty to give 12-20 million illegal aliens citizenship