Story from the UK Times. (H/T ECM)
A WARNING that climate change will melt most of the Himalayan glaciers by 2035 is likely to be retracted after a series of scientific blunders by the United Nations body that issued it.
Two years ago the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) issued a benchmark report that was claimed to incorporate the latest and most detailed research into the impact of global warming. A central claim was the world’s glaciers were melting so fast that those in the Himalayas could vanish by 2035.
In the past few days the scientists behind the warning have admitted that it was based on a news story in the New Scientist, a popular science journal, published eight years before the IPCC’s 2007 report.
It has also emerged that the New Scientist report was itself based on a short telephone interview with Syed Hasnain, a little-known Indian scientist then based at Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi.
Hasnain has since admitted that the claim was “speculation” and was not supported by any formal research.
There was no research backing a pronouncement of melting glaciers in the Himalayas. No research. And yet this was pronounced as dogma by the Holy Church of the United Nations. Because they believe what they want to believe, and their whole agenda is to hide the decline in order to get more research grants and greater control over businesses and individuals. This is the politicization of science. Science guided by big government research grants and academic peer pressure.
- Britain to be hit by coldest winter in 100 years
- Does global warming increase the frequency of hurricanes?
- Will December 2009 be the coldest on record?
- 877 snowfall records were set last week in the USA
- Record snowfall in Oklahoma City, OK and Duluth, MN
- Russian economists accuse CRU of cherry-picking Russian temperature data
- UK Daily Mail summarizes the Climategate scandal
- Armed guard prevents questions on Climategate at UN conference
- Canadian government finds polar bear population up 163% since mid-1980s
- Australian climate data also adjusted to hide the decline
- What does Climategate really prove about global warming?
- Comparison of hockey stick graph data to a larger data set in the same area
- The state of the debate about catastrophic man-made global warming
- Peer-reviewed article in journal Science says solar activity impacts climate
- Famous UN IPCC hockey stick graph is based on cherry-picked data
- Princeton physics professor testifies to Senate about global warming
- Global warming advocates refuse to give their data to skeptics
- Peer-reviewed article in journal Science says prior ice melting caused by solar variation
- Oceans are not warming now
- Polar ice caps are not melting now
- Polar bear populations are not decreasing now
- Global warming is not caused by humans